Saturday 25 April 2015

The Message in a Bottle


I roved out one dawn in may
With a free spirit
Blowing like leaves in the wind
To watch the beauty of sunrise
On the nipple of Mt. Mitarnmitan!
Out there in chill of the morn
I took a seat on my favorite log
Facing the east where the celestial fire ball was meant to rise
From the ashes and slumber of its death in the west!
The fragrance of an eau de toilette
Wavered through the morning breeze
Making clear to me
That I was not alone in this great theater of nature!
On a flowery sheet spread to my left
Sat a lass with a hand painted gown
Her torso was guarded with a knitted sweater
Prepared too to observe the beauty of dawn!
When the sun had finally taken its seat in the skies
And the world was up and busy with life
I leaped to my feet walking away
Pretending I sat through this movie alone!
This spot had been mine for years
Studded with memories of my adolescent days
To find another sharing my niche
Drove me into the frenzy of a territorial lizard!
To the sea my muse led me
Where a trillion fathoms bathed the shore
There on the sand I sat
Reminiscing about my partner at my theater of dreams!
She indeed was pretty
With a finely cut face
Bearing one of those beauty spots
In the corner of her nose
My heart somewhat had formed an unspoken bond
Replaying the encounter every now and then behind the curtains of my minds eye!
Then it came drifting in the waves
A message from the skies borne in the billow
The cork bubbled up and down
Hitting the sand right in front of me!
In the bottle was a letter
Written by someone in love
He spoke of a strange encounter with a lady of his dreams
Whom the heavens gave a glimpse of her beauty
In an encounter at sunset!
I looked around for a sign of company
But the deserted beach held none but me
Into the bottle the message went
And up in my bookshelf it found a resting place!
Sitting on the porch
I watched live forms fill in the empty scene at the beach
Laughing and playing in the noon tide
Without worries or care!
Dreamily I tapped the floorboards
To a familiar tune
Through the rays of sunset her face comes to me again
Refilling my thoughts with another serving of the morning's encounter!

From "Musings"
By
John Martins Agba
April 06

No comments:

Post a Comment